H/T Oliver Tu for this Chinese hack.
In case you use zhuyin (bopomofo) to teach your children Chinese, you should install Chinese font with zhuyin. Until your kids (or really, you) can read on their own, this will allow you to add phonetic assistance to anything you want to print out for them to read.
You can find such fonts at sites like this: http://cooltext.com/Fonts-Unicode-Chinese. Tu recommends the fonts 明體注音 and 明體破音.
Here is an example Tu included:
1) Copy a story in Chinese from a webpage and paste it to MS Word.
2) Select the 明體注音 and 明體破音 fonts.
3) Print out and use as children’s Chinese lesson for them to read.
4) Additionally, you can use websites to print out practice pages for them to practice their writing. (I will post more about these sites later when I have a chance.)
This way, the materials available for your children to read will be limited only by your imagination and not by limited published text and/or the funds to purchase such available texts!
Happy phonetically assisted reading!
Special thanks to Oliver Tu for this tip!
On transferring Chinese ebooks to Kindle
1) Get free Chinese ebooks from sites such as www.haodoo.net (traditional characters).
2) Pick a book and download the text with epub extension.
3) Convert the text with calibre-ebook.com to MOBI file (readable by Kindle).
4) Download the converted file to the computer.
5) Connect the Kindle to computer and then copy file to the “Document” folder.
Whoo! It should show up in Kindle and the font is perfectly scalable!
A tip from a Mandarin Immersion school parent (taken originally from the Raising bilingual children in Chinese & English Facebook group) on how to purchase simplified Chinese ebooks from China using your US KINDLE or Kindle app. These may not be all the steps but should get you started.
Chinese Kindle books cost about ￥ 2-6 (US $ 0.50 – $1.00) so the appeal is obvious. If you currently have a US Kindle account on your iPad or tablet, you will need to:
- Deregister: delete current Kindle books loaded in the device under US account.
- Re-register US account. You will need to redo all book downloads.
- Create new China Kindle account by going to www.amazon.cn
- Click English if you like
- Click on account, create an account, enter email address and password
- Click on payment option for entering credit card or enter in Kindle gift card code
- Enter your billing address, be sure to click on international
- Purchase Kindle gift card
- Buy gift cards: eliminate foreign transaction fees
- No limit of 6 books in 24 hrs in the case of credit card
- Pick reading code: AA, AB, AN, ending N is non-fiction or classic reading
- Be sure it says [Kindle 电子书]
- Download dictionary: hold down one character, then it will ask for dictionary to download, select language, Chi-Chi, Chi-Eng
Hope that helps! Thanks again to the original parent and to the Facebook group!